Whatever we do online, we leave traces behind.
What is a digital footprint
Digital footprint is the data about the data that user is searching or using online. This is the data, that users left online on digital services. A digital footprint is anything that a user shares directly or indirectly online. This includes:
- simple text,
We talk about passive digital footprint when a user is not aware of its data collection and about active digital footprint when a user publishes its data willingly.
Is this bad?
The fact that user leave traces online is not bad perse. Collecting data online can be good for:
- it easier to detect illegal issues and frauds
- with personalization, it is easier to use the internet (for example buying products)
- our future employers can find positive information about us online
But there are also several issues that we have to be aware of:
- companies can use our data without our knowledge,
- constant advertisement causes distraction and it is annoying
- users behavior data can be used also to increase prices of products or services
- our behaviour can have a bad influence on our future
- our data can be used by hackers or other users with bad intentions
The users’ awareness of their footprints is quite low.
of internet users is not worried about how much data they leave online.
of internet users tries to limit the data they leave online.
of internet users have searched about their selves once or twice.